I was craving chocolate really badly the other night, and I remembered seeing a pretty tasty and easy recipe recently in Raw Food, Real World. I just so happened to have all of the ingredients, too!
I wish I had made a lot more, but it’s probably a good thing that I didn’t! These little balls of chocolate-coconut-goodness are pretty freaking tasty. Jef concurs!
- 3 cups dried, unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 cup maple syrup (not technically raw, but delicious. If you don’t want to use maple syrup, use raw honey or raw agave nectar instead)
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients together really well in a large bowl.
- Use your hands or some other rounding device (like a spoon or ice cream scoop) to round the dough into circular shapes. Place on teflexx lined dehydrator trays and dehydrate at 115 degrees for 12 – 24 hours.
I pretty much followed the recipe, although I did add more coconut, just for funsies! I also used my food processor to mix the ingredients and break down some of the coconut as well.
The dough is really delicious… I probably ate just as much dough as I did finished-product-of-amazingness. I recommend waiting patiently for the finished product, it is even better than the dough!
P.S. I dream of Berkeley… : )
Our two year love-a-versary (!!!) is coming up next month, and we booked a stay in a fancy bed and breakfast (the room has a gas fireplace and a piano! Chopsticks, anyone?!) for a couple of nights in Berkeley. I am looking forward to all of the delicious food we are going to eat, the adventurous exploration, and pretending to be fancy and have a huge bed for a couple of days!
I will be eating cooked food during this travel, for sure! Indian food is calling my name… as are vegan cinnamon rolls! But hey, Berkeley has a Cafe Gratitude as well, and they have some really amazing raw food dishes, so maybe I won’t completely indulge in cooked foods the whole trip!
I am really looking forward to this trip, especially since we haven’t had a more-than-a-day-trip since my 25th Birthday Portland Extravaganza!
Hooray for upcoming Love-a-versary Vegan Berkeley Adventures!