I found this recipe in the cookbook The New Laurel’s Kitchen. I doubled the recipe to make enough so they could have leftovers, and I added a bit of no-chicken stock to it as well, to make it a little more liquid-y (since I made my own beans from scratch and accidently drained out all of the tasty bean juice from them!).
My bean of choice was black beans because they are my personal favorite! But I think a variety of beans would be fun to do in this chilli as well! This is a great vegan spicy chilli recipe. The corn is a nice touch and helps mute the spice a bit.
Here it is in all of it’s glory:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used canola)
- 1 green pepper, diced (I used jalapeño)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chopped tomato, or 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I went with the paste)
- 1 cup fresh corn (optional)(I went with frozen corn)
- 4 cups cooked kidney, black, or pinto beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
They also received a Kaleducation with dinner, to tell them all about the nutrients in their side of Braised Kale! : )